Cryotherapy is trending right now. So, obviously I needed to get the scoop for you guys.
I love adding new things into my wellness routine. There are SO many unique and amazing ways to better your lifestyle and cryotherapy is one of them!
So, let’s get into it.
LET ME INTRODUCE YOU TO CRYO EXPERT, BRIAN TAYLOR
Brian is an expert when it comes to cryotherapy. That said, I thought it would be best to interview him and ask him any questions you might have… Here is everything you need to know:
My name is Brian Taylor and I am one of the owners of Revive Cryo Spa. I am former high school and collegiate athlete who now uses crossfit as a way to stay competitive and stay in shape. Playing football for 10 + years has really taken a toll on my body plus a car accident and back surgery which all led me to opening Howard County’s first and only Whole Body Cryotherapy location. On top of being a business owner I work as an accountant for a telecom company and have 3 little girls with my Wife, Jessica, and a fourth child on the way.
+ TELL US ABOUT CRYOTHERAPY & THE PROCESS
Whole Body Cryotherapy was first utilized in Japan in 1978 to treat rheumatoid arthritis. Studies conducted over the last two decades have established WBC as a powerful treatment for inflammatory disorders, injuries, and muscle and joint pain. WBC can also be used to alleviate symptoms from fibromyalgia and rheumatism. The immediate release of endorphins can help with insomnia, fighting depressing and decreasing psychological stress. The accelerated production of collagen improves skin elasticity and texture, reversing skin aging and the appearance of cellulite. Additionally, studies have shown a 500-800 calorie after burn associated with the body’s process to warm itself up. WBC boosts the body’s metabolic rate, accelerating weight loss outcomes. Professional athletes have discovered WBC as a powerful treatment to decrease recovery time and increase athletic performance.
+ THE PROCESS:
1. Entering the cryosauna for 1.5-3 minutes at hyper cooled temperatures activates the body’s thermoregulation mechanisms as the cold, though completely tolerable, is interpreted as a survival threat which causes the need to restore balance through vasoconstriction. This is the first step the body takes to protect its core temperature. Blood vessels in the skin and muscle tissues constrict, forcing blood away from the surface and peripheral tissues to the core.
- Jump-starts the body’s natural filtration system
- Eliminates toxins and inflammatory properties
2. Vasodilation occurs at the conclusion of the treatment upon exiting the cryosauna as the body reheats itself. Vessels expand up to four (4) times their normal diameter allowing a significant increase in flow of that filtered blood to the skin and extremities, enriching cells with healthy oxygen, nutrients and enzymes at a greater capacity than normal.
- Hormones are released as the body’s natural morphine creating a sense of euphoria
- Muscle tissues begin to warm promoting a wealth of benefits that continue to work after your session.
3. Following the treatment, proliferation of the cryo benefits will continue to occur over the next 48 hours providing an optimal condition of reduced pain and shortened recovery time. Cryotherapy enhances the body’s ability to better heal itself to promote enhanced performance.
- The cold exposure reduces the body’s ability to communicate pain signals which after multiple sessions, allows the body to adapt its sustained perception to pain stimuli
- Pro-inflammatory cytokines are reduced while anti-inflammatory properties are increased which provokes a powerful anti-inflammatory response
- Muscle relaxation occurs, energy levels are increased, and the body’s overall anti-oxidative status is increased
- Calories are burnt, comparable to that of an intense workout as a part of the body’s reheating mechanism. Reports suggest that 400-800 calories are expended from a single session with multiple sessions leading to a long-term increase in metabolism.
+ SO, WHAT EXACTLY ARE THE BENEFITS?
Sports & Fitness
- Speeds recovery from stress of competitive sports or training
- Reduces inflammation, swelling and pain
- Increases testosterone levels in men
- Improves muscle and motor unit activation
Health & Wellness
- Relieves pain from joint-disorders, rheumatoid diseases and fibromyalgia
- Decreases muscle soreness, spasms and inflammation
- Facilitates faster recovery after surgery
- Alleviates many negatives symptoms associated with depression, anxiety, fatigue, insomnia, migraines and the effects of stress
Beauty & Spa
- Reduces Cellulite
- Boosts Metabolism to promote weight loss
- Improves skin conditions – including psoriasis, blemishes and acne
- Increases collagen production – evens skin tone and reduces visible signs of aging
+ SOUNDS AMAZING, ARE THERE ANY DOWNSIDES?
No, unless conducted by an untrained technician or if you have a contraindication. The cooling agent, nitrogen, is in 78% of the air we breathe every day. CryoUSA’s certified technicians running your sessions are fully trained on safety and operational protocols and are capable of stopping the session if you should want to get out before your session is done. Likewise, there is no lock on the door of the cryochamber so you can step out at any time.
+ SO, CAN ANYONE TRY IT?
Anyone can try Cryo except a client under the age of 14 cannot use cryotherapy. The client cannot have high blood pressure, have or have had seizures, have a severe case of Raynaud’s syndrome, be pregnant, have any existing heart issue, have any major vascular issues, have clots or have had a brain aneurism, have any severe reaction to cold or have had a stroke. Other contraindications exist for which each client should fully read the waiver.
+ HOW LONG UNTIL YOU START TO SEE RESULTS?
Honestly that varies person to person depending on what they are coming to do Cryo for whether its pain management, recovery, sleep, energy or any of the other benefits you can gain from Cyrotherapy. I do recommend at least giving Cryo 7-10 sessions no matter what to see how your body reacts to it.
+ HOW DO YOU FEEL AFTER?
Afterwards people tend to have a boost of energy, rejuvenated and much more relaxed.
+ WHAT SHOULD YOU DO TO PREP?
No need to prep, just can’t be sweaty or have used lotion or spray tan or anything that may react with the nitrogen within the hour of your appointment.
+ WHAT SHOULD YOU DO AFTER?
Afterwards you are free to do whatever you please whether its working out, going to work or going home to relax.
AMAZING! WHERE SHOULD WE GO TO DO CRYOTHERAPY?
The number one place in Howard County of course at Revive Cryo Spa. 9011 Chevrolet Drive Unit 17 Ellicott City MD 21784